Undergraduate Research Opportunities
In addition to the Marine Sciences minor, the Department also offers invaluable hands-on research experience for undergraduates. The Department’s strong emphasis on interdisciplinary research is demonstrated through our work with undergraduate researchers majoring in fields like Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Math, Physics, Geography, Geology and other related disciplines.
Contact our Student Services Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information on the following experiences.
- Enroll in MASC 395 (requires departmental permission)
- Find employment opportunities
- Become a Carolina Scholar
- Interested in research in the Marine Sciences, click here.
- Increasing Diversity and Enhancing Academia (IDEA): IDEA seeks motivated and talented undergraduate students interested in participating in a ten week full-time summer research program. Students will work with UNC faculty on cutting-edge science, participate in graduate school preparation seminars, and share experiences with each other. Research opportunities in the fields of Marine Sciences, Geology, Geography, and Environmental Sciences are available. Previous research experience is not required. IDEA provides the foundation and skills necessary to pursue a graduate degree in the geosciences. This program is funded by the National Science Foundation, Opportunities for Enhancing Diversity in the Geosciences Program. Click for job descriptions and the online application.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) opportunities through the UNC Office for Undergraduate Research. Follow the link to read more about application requirements and upcoming deadlines.