In addition to the Marine Sciences minor, the Department also offers invaluable hands-on research experience for undergraduates. Hosting 57 research assistants since 2008, the Department’s strong emphasis on interdisciplinary research is demonstrated through our work with undergraduate researchers majoring in fields like Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Math, Physics, Geography, Geology and other related disciplines.
Contact our Student Services Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information on the following experiences.
- Enroll in MASC 395 (requires departmental permission)
- Find employment opportunities
- Increasing Diversity and Enhancing Academia (IDEA): Undergraduate Geosciences Summer Research Experiences at UNC-CH. The UNC Institute for the Environment seeks motivated and talented undergraduate students interested in conducting field or lab research in Marine Sciences, Geology, and Environmental Sciences. Available positions include water research in Alaska, wet and dry lab work in the marine sciences, field work in the Canadian Rockies, GIS, computer and modeling opportunities. Gain paid experience and see how to use your science, math and technology skills in the fastest growing job field.Deadline extended to February 15th, 2013. Go to http://www.ie.unc.edu/IDEA/undergrad_summer.cfm for job descriptions and the online application.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU): UNC-Institute for Marine Sciences is currently accepting applications. For more information and to apply go to: http://www.unc.edu/ims/reu/index.html.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) opportunities through the UNC Office of Undergraduate Research. Follow the link to read more about application requirements and upcoming deadlines.