UNC Marine Sciences Applicant Statistics
Average Entering Class Profile, 2008-2012
|Mean Verbal GRE:||589/75%|
|Mean Quant. GRE:||699/62%|
The Graduate Program in Marine Sciences at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill provides teaching and research in estuarine, coastal and oceanographic sciences, leading to M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Marine Sciences. Master’s students typically enter the graduate program with a B.S. degree in a basic science or engineering (e.g., physics, chemistry, geology, biology, oceanography, marine sciences, meteorology, mathematics, computer science, environmental science, electrical or mechanical engineering). Each student entering the program who does not already have an appropriate M.S. degree is admitted as an M.S. student. Occasionally a student who holds a Master’s degree in a field of study that is somewhat remote from marine sciences will be admitted into the program as an M.S. student. Entering students that have earned a M.S. in Marine Sciences or a closely related field will be enrolled directly into the Ph.D. program.
Our students specialize in one of the following areas: marine biology/ecology, marine microbiology, marine chemistry, biogeochemistry, marine geology, and physical oceanography. Students whose advisor is located at IMS have the opportunity to move to Morehead City, NC, to work on their research after their first year on campus in Chapel Hill, NC.
- Aug 15 – The Graduate School begins accepting applications for the Fall 2013 term.
- Jan 2– Deadline for applications to be guaranteed consideration for Graduate School Fellowships.
- Apr 15 – Student deadline for accepting fellowships; support may be withdrawn after this date.
- Early May – Departmental deadline for notification to students of acceptance into program.
- June 12 – Final deadline for Fall 2013 applications.
A collection of useful links for students who are interested in the Marine Sciences Graduate program:
Information for Prospective Graduate Students
- Graduate Degree Programs in Marine Sciences
- Marine Sciences Faculty
- MASC courses
- Fellowship Information
- MASC Graduate Student Handbook 2012-2013 (PDF)
- Typical Schedule for Marine Sciences Graduate Students
- Graduate School Home Page
- Graduate School Handbook
- Graduate Student Resource Guide
- Student Administrative Services Building
Graduate Student Organizations