Dr. Hans Paerl is an expert on algae and algal blooms and has spoken to the press a number of times this year about the causes and effects of these blooms, how they are influenced by rising temperatures as well as where and when they tend to occur. Dr. Paerl is a William R. Kenan Distinguished Professor at UNC’s Institute of Marine Sciences in Moorehead City, NC where he heads the Microbial Ecology/Nutrient Cycling Laboratory and holds a joint appointment in the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- August 23, 2016 Hans Paerl contributed to an article about South Florida’s algae blooms that was published in August/ September issue of FloridAgriculture. Click here to view the article (pages 6, 7, and 26).
- August 19, 2016 Dr. Paerl talks to WITN News about the algae blooms in the Pamlico and Tar Rivers.Click here to see the news report.
- August 18, 2016 Hans Paerl is interviewed on This Morning with Alex Jensen, tbs eFM 101.3 MHz, Seoul, Korea. Click here to listen.
- August 12, 2016 Dr. Paerl is mentioned in an article on the increase of algae blooms in California’s rivers. Click here to read more.
- July 25, 2016 Hans Paerl is interviewed by The Christian Science Monitor. Click here to read the article.
- July 22, 2016 Dr. Paerl discussed the algal bloom in Florida with Miami’s NPR station. Click here to read the article.
- July 13, 2016 Hans Paerl is quoted in an article on an algae bloom in Florida’s Lake Okeechobee that grew large enough to be seen from space. Click here to read the article.
- May 27, 2016 Hans Paerl comments on the attempts to control algal blooms in Florida’s St. Lucie River. Click here to read the story.